Friday, December 12, 2008

Fan Letter to Bettie Page

Dear Bettie Page,

Since I first discovered your image at the age of 15, I’ve been mesmerized by your charm and beauty.

I’m not alone, of course; your hour glass figure has been immortalized a thousand times over – inspiring books, post cards, posters, one of my favorite clothing lines and a recent Hollywood film.

You are an icon to many; a symbol of sensuality rather than sexuality. Your nude photographs unabashedly highlight the beauty of the human form; the source of life and myths. Your smiles reflect Adam and Eve before the apple; curiosity and innocence.

I’ve seen many of the films you made with Irving Klaw and your sense of ‘play’ is what predominates. You have the aura of a five year old girl pretending to be acting in a film. But a five year old with a woman’s body – and it’s that dichotomy that made the world fall in love with you.

So today I chose to celebrate rather than mourn. You have granted me and others a voyeur’s peek at unbridled magnetism. I suspect you will continue to do so for generations to come.

With much love and admiration,
Local Motion Miami

Bettie Page Resources on the Internet

Pop Sub Culture
IMDB
You Tube
The Notorious Bettie Page
Pin Up Girl Clothing: bikini id case
Pin Up Girl Clothing: Bettie Page magnet set

No comments:

Post a Comment