Friday, June 12, 2009

Poem of the Day - by Nikki Giovanni

JUST A SIMPLE DECLARATION OF LOVE

In the reddish gray of morning just before night concedes I know the silhouette of Sunflowers turning their heads to the east

I hear birds gathering at the bird bath chattering away singing warning gossiping about the cat in the bushes

I watch the rabbits starting for the warren under my shed to rest from another night of survival

Mother 'Possum with six youngsters on her back slowly like any other overburdened woman makes her way back home

I look at the clouds push off against the lighter blue and making coffee I hear the friendly gurgle of the drip maker the sigh of the toast softly browning

I watch the world come awake sitting in my kitchen hearing smelling tasting another day but nothing is clear until you

Smile

Calling the sun to work

No comments:

Post a Comment