Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Stoning of Soraya M.

UPDATED

Good news! I found one theater in Aventura (Aventura 24 Theatres 19501 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL 33180) that will be playing The Stoning of Soraya M. on July 10. However, no dates are set for Miami yet.

-------------------------

I wrote an e-mail today to the Miami Beach Cinematheque- an arthouse movie theater and home of the Miami Beach Film Society - about a topic I feel very strongly about right now. Here's a copy of what I wrote:
--------------------------------------
Hello,

My name is Larissa. I'm a huge fan of the Cinematheque and wanted to thank your organization for granting me the opportunity of watching exceptional films.

Having said that, I noticed that one film, which I'm interested in watching, is not listed on your calendar of events for June or July. The movie, The Stoning of Soraya M., is set for limited U.S. release on June 26.

Do you know if this movie will be released in Miami anytime soon? So far, not one theater in the entire state of Florida is listed to premiere this film!

The movie is based on a true story of one courageous Iranian woman's attempt to expose atrocities that befell on her niece, who was stoned to death because she was accused of adultery. The allegations against her are false and the very nature of stoning a person to death is barbaric and goes against basic human rights. The news reports I have read have given this movie raving reviews and the film has opened its audiences' eyes to the lack of women's rights in Iran.

I feel that this is an incredibly important movie, especially given the recent protests in Iran. Art is not merely a vehicle for beauty, but also serves as a means for social and political change, which is why historically all oppressive societies have censored books, movies, paintings, etc.

Please bring this important movie to Miami. Or please advise me on what I need to do to get this film shown here.

With much admiration and respect,

Larissa
------------------------------------------

Here's a preview of the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment