Friday, July 24, 2009

Tasty Treats - Audrey Kawasaki & Walt Whitman

The first time I saw Audrey Kawasaki's images I was awe struck at the contradictory nature of her work: innocent yet erotic, tender but volatile, subdued though expressive, melancholy yet joyful. But that's exactly what attracts me to art: contradictions.

The American poet Walt Whitman once wrote:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

And I agree: to be human is to contradict. Each of us carry voices from our childhood and memories of distant lands, books and food. Each trace echos of faces, lovers and friends.

The American poet Walt Whitman once wrote:

I Celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.



















No comments:

Post a Comment